1.07.2010

Ozumo Sushi

Ozumo sushi is one of San Francisco's best sushi spots. It's also one of my long-time favorites. I first went there almost five years ago on a work trip with one of my advertising clients. It was the grand finale a multi-week, cross-country business travel jaunt, so our team was treated to an incredible feast in a private dining room. This was back in the good old days when companies were allowed to spend money. :) The meal was so memorable that when Bryan and I were in San Francisco last week, I immediately knew I wanted to go back for dinner. On a budget, of course!

We sat at the sushi bar and had a two fabulous rolls and two sashimi plates. Five years later, the experience held up. The sushi chefs were fantastic, professional and the quality of the fish was superb. If you're in San Francisco, definitely stop on by. Here's what we chose from the menu that lovely evening:

HANABI: Slices of hamachi and avocado drizzled with
a warm ginger and jalapeno ponzu sauce. The ginger
and jalapeno ponzu sauce was so delicious, I don't have words
for it. Tangy, spicy, sweet and warm. Yum, yum, yum!
The hamachi melted in our mouths and the avocado
provided a great balance to the dish's acidity.

BENI TORO (Salmon Belly): Seared salmon belly served with wasabi and ginger.
The salmon tasted smoked; it was fantastic. One of our favorites.
We would eat this again and again if we could.

OZUMO ROLL: Grilled unagi (eel) and cucumber topped with
snow crab, tuna, avocado and spicy sauce. I'm not usually a huge fan
of eel, but this wasn't overwhelming. It was soft, warm and melded
perfectly with the crab salad and avocado.

SUMO ROLL: Hamachi, tuna and shiso over a California roll. Simple but delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Great review and awesome photos that really intrigue. Ozumo is now on my list of sushi houses to try next time I am in the Bay. Thank you!

    Qiana Markham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My husband and I will be in San Francisco for the first time in April. I'll add this to my wishlist of places to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Ozumo is right across the street from Yank Sing, so if you're in the area for a few days and are up for multiple Asian meals, I say go for both! And of course, let me know how you like them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails