1.12.2010

Filet Mignon w/ Cabernet Sauce

This steak recipe is from the October 2001 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Bryan's dad makes it during the holidays and it's really wonderful. This past Christmas, when my Bryan's brother and our sister-in-law came over for holiday dinner, she kept asking "Are we having THE steak??" "Are we having THE steak??" I only knew about the homemade ravioli we were making, so I wasn't able to give her a proper answer. Given that she kept asking other people until she got confirmation that, YES, we were having THE steak, I knew we were in for a real treat!

There are so many great things about this steak recipe, it's hard to narrow it down. It's basically a one-pan dish. It only calls for six ingredients (I added three ingredients, but that's what I tend to do). It only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. And it tastes awesome, so you're bound to look like a master chef to your family and friends. Serve this with a crisp iceberg Wedge salad and a baked potato bar (essentially a mini line-up with baked potato toppings like bacon, scallion, sour cream, etc.) and you've got a fantastic dinner!

Here's the original recipe. My modifications are in *italic*, so you can either use them or leave them out:
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) chilled butter
  • 4 filet mignon steaks (each about 4 ounces)
  • 1/3 cup chopped shallots
  • 2/3 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 1 generous tablespoon drained capers
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • *10 ounces sliced Crimini mushrooms
  • *2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • *3 tablespoons water
Generously spray a large nonstick skillet heated over a medium-high flame with cooking spray. Add the mushrooms and cook until they brown and the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Melt one tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt and generous amount of ground black pepper. Add to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer steaks to 4 plates. Tent with foil.
Melt one tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add wine, capers, and mustard; simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley. Reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon over steaks.

*I found that the sauce was too salty – granted, it was my first try with it so I'm sure it was my fault – so I added three tablespoons water and two tablespoons heavy cream to tone down the salty flavor. I continued to cook the sauce until it thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Then I spooned it over the steaks.

4 comments:

  1. I love a nice fillet with a flavorful sauce like that. Yours looks great, especially for a first time attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.... my. This looks better than chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! It's a great recipe. And you can always have chocolate for dessert. This filet and a chocolate souffle would be the perfect meal... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my god, the mushrooms and the meat above look really fantastic, I just want to taste this recipe, it looks really delicious, I'll try this as soon as possible..in my next adventure in my kitchen.. thanks for the recipe..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails