11.21.2012

10 Days of Thanksgiving: Breads + Rolls

Buttermilk Ham + Cheese Biscuits
Photo: FoodandWine.com
Between the mashed potatoesstuffings, rich gratins, gravy and desserts, breads can easily go forgotten as a Thanksgiving side dish. But there's something wonderful about a warm, steaming crescent roll, a flaky biscuit topped with melting butter, or a slice of slightly sweet zucchini bread studded with walnuts.

Make no mistake, bread is a means to an end on Thanksgiving. It's a vehicle to sop up gravy, cranberry sauce and, perhaps most importantly, serve as the bookends for an incredible next-day leftover sandwich (arguably the best part about Thanksgiving). Personally, I'm making the Buttermilk Ham + Cheese Biscuits (recipe below), filled with tiny bits of diced ham and nutty Gruyere cheese. If the photo to the right is any evidence, the day-after obligatory sandwich will be just as good as the day-of fixin's.

1. Cornbread with Bacon Crust
Crumbled bacon makes an irresistible top crust on this slightly sweet cornbread.

2. Buttermilk Ham + Cheese Biscuits
Food and Wine recipe writer Lee Hefter gets so caught up in cooking Thanksgiving dinner that he hardly has time to eat it. He has a turkey-and-stuffing sandwich on these biscuits while he's cleaning up.

3. Spiced Zucchini + Walnut Bread
Sabrina Henderson of Gardena, California, writes: "After 17 years of making dinner for my family, I don't cook as much as I used to. These days what I really enjoy doing is baking. Not only is it more leisurely, but people enjoy the results so much. About twice a month my husband takes some of my homemade cookies to his colleagues who always ask when I'm going to send something their way. The staff in the doctor's office where I work will often ask me the same thing. My zucchini bread is a special favorite. I joke with people and tell them I'll bring it in, but only if they behave."- Bon Appetit

Raised Pumpkin Bread with
 Pumpkin-Pecan-Cranberry Swirl

Photo: FoodandWine.com
4. Mom's Crescent Rolls
These rolls have been a staple at blogger Tasty Kitchen's family Thanksgiving table for years. They're promised to be light and delicious.

5. Raised Pumpkin Bread with a Pumpkin-Pecan-Cranberry Swirl
The festive twist on cinnamon-swirl bread makes this loaf special enough for a holiday brunch, but don't limit yourself. A toasted, buttered slice can warm up any chilly morning.

7 comments:

  1. It’s great to know about many things from your website blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post is very nice, by the way, I want to share with you information about the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blog frequently and I seriously appreciate your information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt, the post is incredible and also. Every time I read your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciating the persistence you put into your blog and detailed information you provide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the tons of comments on your articles, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails