2.20.2012

Buffalo Chicken Dip: Be Careful, It's Addictive!

Buffalo Chicken Dip (Photo: Campbell's Kitchen)
I have a confession: I don't like chicken wings. I know, I can't believe it either. I feel a little better now that I've shared it with you, though.

Try as I might over the years, those little wings and I haven't found a common ground. Sure, they're delicious, but (in my minority opinion) they're far too much work for barely any chicken. If they were less "wings" and more "ribs," I'd be all over them. But I digress... What I DO love about chicken wings is the taste of tangy, spicy buffalo sauce the cool crunch of celery and rich, creamy blue cheese dip. Surely there must be a way to combine those without the labor intensity of gnawing on a mini-wing?

Meet Buffalo Chicken Dip, a hearty, chunky dip that happily bubbles away in a crock pot. A friend of mine made it for a recent party and it was the talk of the evening. Literally, every person that walked through the door would get accosted with, "Have you tried the buffalo chicken dip? NO??? It's amazing!" It was gone in a flash, but it left a serious imprint on my "must-try" recipe list. So here it is; blue cheese, cream cheese, canned chicken and all. It's hardly gourmet and even less healthy for you, but (in moderation) it's a surefire winner!

Buffalo Chicken Dip
Adapted from Campbell's Kitchen
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup blue cheese or Ranch salad dressing
  • 1/2 cup any flavor Frank's® RedHot® Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 cans (12.5 ounces each) White Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained
  • Assorted fresh vegetables (celery sticks, baby carrots, etc.) and crackers
Make the dip: Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on low until hot and bubbly. Serve with veggies and crackers.

3 comments:

  1. I must be the oddball. I love the work it takes to get to the center! Course I'm in the minority too because I bare the chicken down to the bare bare bones. I even complain about my family who still has meat on their bones! Can't wait to check this dip out! Any idea of the spice level? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds so wrong that it must be delicious, will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MixingItAllUp: Spice level is totally manageable! You control it by the amount of hot sauce.
    @TracyD: I try not to let the super heavy ingredients scare me. It's all about moderation, but like you said: If it's wrong, I don't want to be right!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails