2.21.2010

Sunday Morning Waffles

Happy Sunday! Bryan and I are so happy to be back home. After a week away, sometimes there's nothing better than being back in your own surroundings, not to mention kitchen. After sleeping in today, I celebrated our lazy morning with homemade waffles for breakfast. I use an incredibly quick recipe and within 10 minutes our apartment smelled like piping hot, delicious waffles. Add a melting pat of butter, warmed Vermont maple syrup and you've got a killer breakfast.


Here's what you need to make two perfect waffles:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cups warm milk
  • 1/6 cup butter, melted, plus more garnish
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used pure vanilla paste, a potent alternative)
  • Maple syrup
In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside.

Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended.

Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.

Ladle batter onto waffle iron. Make sure it doesn't overflow.

Close waffle iron & let cook until desired doneness.

Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup. Enjoy!


9 comments:

  1. Yum... we think alike. I made pancakes with a side of slided ham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I have been reading the blog, but never commented before, but my husband and I made waffles yesterday as well, and his father gave me a little tip to make them extra fluffy. If you separate the egg whites out and beat them to a stiff peak and then fold that into the batter the waffles are fluffy and light as air. PS I love the blog and am so glad that Bryan is doing well (my husband got me listening to the Adam Carolla show a few years back).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Moogie & Maria! The 1990's pancake recipe I'll post soon does the exact same thing by incorporating beaten egg whites into the batter. It's incredible, not to mention oozing with melted butter. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, butter just like bacon makes most things better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christie,
    What kind of waffle maker do you have? Do you like it? Looking to buy one and curious on your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mahalo,

    I've got a Villaware Belgium waffle maker. I got it a few years ago at Target, I believe for around $40. It makes really great crisp, waffles without any sticking. There are various temperature settings to please the "well done" crowd. The only thing I don't love is a really obnoxious "beep" (more like an alarm) when it comes to temperature. Otherwise, it's great!

    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these this morning and they were amazing. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy, I enjoyed every bite!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails