2.23.2010

A Great Alternative to DIY Sliders

For all my writing about sliders, I can't believe I haven't seen these before. Maybe it's because I've been busy homemaking my own brioche sliders buns and Italian and Vietnamese Banh Mi sliders, who knows?

But today I had a slider epiphany and wanted to share it. This is especially great for someone who wants to make their own sliders at home without the hassle of making bread, measuring meat, etc.

Trader Joe's offers their own portion-sized sliders and mini slider buns. How I missed these during our almost-ritualistic trips to Trader Joe's is beyond me. Specifically, they're Mini Beef Burger Patties (90/10 fat ratio) and cost between $3.00 and $4.00 per pack. Hopefully it doesn't weird you out that they're a product of USA, Canada and Mexico. So many countries for such tiny burgers.

Of course you don't have to grill them the way they're seen here. You can incorporate your favorite burger flavors – some of our favorites are minced onions, minced garlic, Worcestershire, chipotle chili pepper, hot sauce and S&P – and mold them to your liking. Or want mini cheese-stuffed sliders? Grab some bleu cheese and mold the burger around it. Going for Italian burgers? Stuff a chunk of mozzarella in the middle and wrap the burger around it. The options are seriously endless...

Trader Joe's Sliders

Here are the slider buns. We found them above the tortillas in the bread section. These are genius, and hard to find in other grocery stores. They come eight to a pack for $1.19 and are labeled Mini Hamburger Buns. Creative name, I know. They're the perfect size and a great alternative if you don't have an entire day to dedicate to making your own homemade brioche buns. I can't imagine they taste as good as homemade, but I'm biased.

Trader Joe's Mini Hamburger Buns
They're only $1.19!
So next time you're faced with making a last-minute appetizer, keep these sliders and mini buns in mind. They're fast, cheap and the perfect snack.


3 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! And the buns are vegan!! Great for my little guy. He's allergic to milk and eggs.

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skip the TJ buns, as I always find them to taste very stale & doughy/yeasty (not in a good way) & get either Pepperidge Farms or Martin's potato slider/mini rolls or if not able to get to another store, opt for TJ's mini cibatta rolls & try not to eat all 6 of those deee-fricken-lightful burgers by yourself. I just inhaled 2, with just a touch of sea salt & pepper & Muenster cheese, & am contemplating a 3rd... Others in my home may go hungry today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails