|Double Banana Cake with Vanilla Buttercream|
Speaking of cake, the addition of ripened, mashed bananas make it perfectly moist while giving the cake a beautiful flecked appearance. Just add some sliced fresh banana to the top and you’ll have yourself a stunning dessert centerpiece. Unfortunately, you won’t have much time to admire it because after one bite, you’ll be hooked. Which is good, because the cake is meant to serve 16 of your nearest and dearest friends, family, or simply banana-cake crazed acquaintances.
Double Banana Cake with Buttercream Icing
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit Magazine
Makes: 16 servings
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter plus more for pans, room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups coarsely mashed very ripe bananas (about 6 large)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ripe but not mushy bananas, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices
Divide batter between pans. Bake cakes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes in pans on wire racks. Invert cakes onto wire racks; let cool completely. Remove parchment. Using a serrated knife, trim off rounded tops.
Make the Frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat first 5 ingredients in a large bowl until light and fluffy, 6–7 minutes. Place 1 cake on a plate. Spread 1 cup frosting over. Arrange banana slices on top. Top with second cake. Spread a thin layer of frosting over top and sides of cake; chill for 30 minutes. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cakes.