3.21.2012

Breakfast Brilliance: Make Ahead Steel-Cut Oatmeal

Make Ahead Breakfast; Oatmeal in Jars
Photo: TheKitchn
Let's talk about breakfast. Who doesn't love a hearty, satisfying, delicious start to their day? Look up steel cut oatmeal in the dictionary and "hearty, satisfying and delicious" might as well be the definition. The one word that won't be there, however, is fast.

Steel cut oatmeal -- while wonderful -- is a chore to make, taking the better part of an hour to cook in a boiling water bath. Which is why I was so excited when I came across a brilliant breakfast idea at The Kitchn: make-ahead steel cut oatmeal in jars. Basically, it's a week's worth of breakfast in one Sunday night swoop.

Here's the Sunday night scoop (or whatever night marks the "beginning" of your week): Put five servings of steel-cut oats in a pot of water, bring to a boil, then cover and turn off the heat. Let the oats sit overnight and they'll be perfectly creamy and tender in the morning. 

Divide the oats and water among five jars and every morning, grab 'em when you're on the go. Give the oats a few minutes in the microwave, mix in your favorite toppings -- I go for fresh berries, a drizzle of honey and splash of non-fat milk -- and enjoy an incredible start to your day. Breakfast brilliance, no? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Christie,

    Long-time reader, first-time commenter. :)

    I am a devoted Kitchn reader, and I have done a version of this - it's so yummy! I do the oats overnight in my slow-cooker, so they're basically fully cooked by morning, when I divvy them up into five jars.

    I mix a few things in with the oats and water before cooking -- whatever catches my eye. I've used almonds, pecans, walnuts, raisins, sliced peaches, dried cranberries, dried prunes, flaxseed, and various spices (cinnamon, nutmeg/ginger)... tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica - Thanks for reading and sharing the great idea! I'll definitely add it to my breakfast arsenal and I hope other readers will, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I make 6 servings at once and keep it in Tupperware. By day 5 it's not so yummy. I'm trying this way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails