9.20.2010

Try A Scoop: LaLoo's Goat's Milk Ice Cream

I've never been much of an ice cream lover. In fact, I've never been much of a dessert fan in general. Don't get me wrong; there is something wonderfully decadent about a rich chocolate souffle, a spicy autumnal (read: pumpkin) semi-freddo and flaming, caramelized bananas foster melting over vanilla bean ice cream. But when it comes to caloric expenditure, I'd rather spend them on the savory side of the meal spectrum. Cheese, charcuterie, short ribs paired with a great red wine; that kind of thing. But recently a friend brought over a simple yet incredible dessert that blew my mind: a pint of LaLoo's Goat's Milk Frozen Yogurt. One bite and even my jaded dessert palate was sold.

If you don't like goat cheese, don't be deterred. LaLoo's doesn't have goat cheese's signature 'tang.' The flavors -- Mission Fig, Cajeta de Leche, Forestberry, Cherries Tuilerie, Vanilla Snowflake, Rumplemint, Capraccino, Deep Chocolate and Strawberry Darling -- taste as organic as the ingredients themselves, without any fillers or preservatives. The frozen yogurt has a thick, rich custard-like consistency; not at all like airy, icy, flavorless varieties found everywhere in the ice cream aisle. The goat's milk makes it edible and more importantly, digestible for the lactose intolerant, all the while boasting more protein and calcium but less than half the fat of ice cream and gelato. As if you need any other reason, two words: toffee brickle, chunks of which can be found in the Cajeta de Leche flavor. Oh my goodness, it is great.

Currently I have three varieties in my freezer: Cajeta de Leche, Mission Fig and Capraccino (the last one was left over from a dinner party; I'm not a total animal). Keep in mind this is the first time since I had my tonsils removed at the age of twenty-one that I have had ice cream in my kitchen. That was ten years ago. But let's get real; it's not like I eat it every night. A small spoonful here and there is all I need. The flavors are so intense -- Mission Fig is like a creamy, frozen Fig Newton, while Cajeta de Leche has sticky swirls of Mexican caramel and bits of Texas toffee brickle -- that a little bit goes a long way. Of course, if you're a big dessert lover it's not unreasonable to imagine forgoing dinner altogether and just polishing off a pint. For me, it's dessert baby steps. Or maybe it's baby bites. Either way, I'm enjoying each one.

Looking for LaLoo's? Try Whole Foods market or order online here.

1 comment:

  1. keep hearing great things about LaLoo's. Goat milk ice cream definitely yields different mouth feel. Have you tried Delicieuse in Redondo Beach for their small batch goat's milk ice cream? Made in Redondo Beach by basically one woman. It's fantastic stuff, no guar gum, carrageenan, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails