For me, the past Fourth of July weekend can be described in one word: gluttonous. There were so many BBQs, picnics, pool parties and beach time filled with beer, wine, hamburgers, hot dogs, gourmet potato salads and flag cakes. Come this morning, I decided I need to log some serious gym (and detox!) time so I can aptly prep for my next round of fantastic foodie events. And ohhhh my goodness, are there some truly fabulous food and wine events coming up later this month. Personally, I'm
before heading out to sample incredible goods
Event (July 24) and Savor Los Angeles SWEETS! event (July 30). That means I've got eleven days to hit the gym
gearing up for three of my can't-miss favorites: The Saban Clinic's 13th Annual Extravaganza for the Senses (July 17), the 2nd LA Street Food Fest's Summer Tasting
(not to mention, some of my personal favorite dishes)
from LA's top restaurants, private chefs and food trucks.
Jar's Suzanne Tracht at the 2010 Gold Standard Event
Here's the thing about these events: it's one thing to see your favorite chefs creating magical dishes on TV – and really, when are they going to invent smell-o-vision?? – but it's another thing altogether when you're able to go straight up to them, separated by nothing but a table filled with plates of their masterful creations, and tell them how much you enjoy their cuisine. I've watched Nancy Silverton (Osteria Mozza) put the finishing touches on her famous ricotta crostini, watched Nobu Matsuhisa (Nobu) slice gorgeously jewel-toned tuna sashimi and even chatted up Paul Bartolotta (Bartolotta Restaurant Group) as he topped off an irresistible hand-torn pasta dish. You can have the same experience this month with some of LA's top culinary minds, but make sure to mark your calendars and buy your tickets soon because they're going fast. Get all the details – the what, when, how much and why you should go – below.
Hope to see you at all three events!
- When: Saturday, July 17 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Where: Sunset Gower Studios, 1438 North Gower Street, Hollywood, CA 90028.
- How Much $$$: General Admission is $100, VIP is $225 (get early entry, valet parking and access to the exclusive VIP Lounge). Tickets available here or by calling (323) 330-1670.
- Why You Should Go: Samples from over 100 wineries and 40+ LA restaurants including BOA, Jar, Angelini Osteria, Milk, Delphine, The Palm, Takami Sushi and Robata, Upstairs 2, Susan Feniger’s STREET and Dr. Bob’s Ice Cream, etc. Complimentary massages from El Leon and Bliss Spa (for VIP ticket holders). A live cooking demonstration by Top Chef Masters contestant Suzanne Tracht (Jar). Silent auction items including a trip to the Bahamas, luxury products and entertainment memorabilia. Music by DJ Scott Silva. All proceeds benefit the Saban Free Clinic, which provides free health care, dental and social services to the most vulnerable members of the LA Community.
- Follow @SabanFC
- When: Saturday, July 24 from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. (4 p.m. to 5 p.m. if you're VIP)
- Where: The Rose Bowl, 1001 Rose Bowl Drive, Pasadena, CA 91103.
- How Much $$$: General Admission is $45, VIP is $65 (4 p.m. entry plus access to a private VIP parking lot). Tickets available here.
- Why You Should Go: Attendance is capped at 5,000 - in a stadium that holds 90,000, no less - and all tickets will be pre-sold. You'll get samples from 60+ gourmet trucks, old-school stands, some of L.A.'s top restaurants and their chefs, including the Grilled Cheese Truck, Coolhaus Truck, Brian Hill's (of BRAVO's Private Chefs of Beverly Hills) Comfort Truck, street eats from Starry Kitchen, Scoops and Fred Eric, chef/owner of Tiara Café and Fred 52. There's also debut appearances from trucks not yet on the road like Whisk LA, The Fox Pizza Bus, The Mighty Boba Truck and The Creole Truck. Groove to live entertainment from Warpaint and The Deadly Syndrome. Check out the event's first Cook-Off Competition, judged by a panel of experts led by Top Chef Masters contestant, Susan Feniger (Border Grill, Ciudad, STREET).
- Follow @LAFoodFest
- When: Friday, July 30th from 7:00 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Where: Miauhaus Studios, 1201 South La Brea Avenue, Los Angeles 90019.
- How Much $$$: General Admission is $35, VIP is $55 (get VIP Giftbag, Access to VIP Lounge, VIP Open Bar, Entry via VIP Entrance). Tickets available here.
- Why You Should Go: If you've got a sweet tooth, this event is for you! Sample an assortment of desserts from participants including Babycakes NYC, Frosted Cupcakery, N’ice Cream, Plaisir, Popcakes, Sweets For The Soul, XT Patisserie. Each vendor was chosen because of their emphasis on organic ingredients, alternatives to high-fructose corn syrup, vegan offerings, innovative presentation & design, and of course, fabulous taste. The event also has free champagne and paired beverages, a complimentary cheese and fruit bar, raffles, music, a photobooth and gift bags.
- Follow @savorlosangeles